Photo by MDPNY
Their name says it all – Masters At Work. ‘Little’ Louie Vega and Kenny ‘Dope’ Gonzalez celebrate 20 years together, channeling dance music down new paths with their inventive production style and imaginative feel for different musical forms. The two native New Yorkers have amassed an overwhelming body of work including hundreds of original productions and defiantly mix everything they can find – house, hip hop, funk, disco, Latin, African and jazz – into a universal groove. XLR8R’s Shawn Reynaldo sits down with them on the couch during Red Bull Music Academy’s ‘New York City to SF Bay’ lecture series in San Francisco to discuss the start of their careers and dissolving the barriers between genres.
Photo by Streetsy
Lecture: Stretch and Bobbito (San Francisco, 2012) from Red Bull Music Academy on Vimeo.
Pioneering college hip hop radio jocks Stretch Armstrong and Bobbito sit down on the couch for an interview with rap scholar Chairman Jefferson Mao, touching down on the beauty of unprofessional radio and the joy of igniting careers for countless artists like Jay Z, Nas, and Mobb Deep. The interview took place during the Red Bull Music Academy’s ‘New York City To the SF Bay’ lecture series in San Francisco. Oh yeah, and the whole thing is also pretty damn funny.
Photo by Miwa Hirakuri
Mixed by Eric Lopez aka “BigE”
01. Bebe Ruth – The Mexican
02. Liquid Liquid – Cavern
03. Give It Up Turn It A Loose
04. Dreaming A Dream “Blended with Love” Re-Edit
05. Ashford & Simpson – One More Try (Dimitri From Paris ReEdit)
06. Earth, Wind & Fire – Runnin’ (Danny Krivit)
07. Fatback Band – Spanish Hustle
08. North End – Kind of Life(Kind of Love) (MAW Remix)
09. Daft Funk
10. The Strikers – Body Music
By Dennis Kane (MAGNETIC)
Six Cups Of Rebel, released today, is the new studio album from Hans-Peter Lindstrom. In addition to his prior effort, 2008’s (Where You Go I Go Too), There are the collaborative full lengths with Christabelle, (Real Life Is No Cool), and three with long time associate Prins Thomas (I, II, and Reinterpretations). Lindstrom also has a seemingly unending list of 12-inches, (including one under the moniker of Six Cups of Rebel), and remixes for a long list on notables including: Tosca, Bryan Ferry, LCD Soundsystem and Franz Ferdinand.
On the occasion of this new release Magnetic contributor and Disques Sinthomme/Ghost Townhoncho Dennis Kane broke out the iPad and had an extended chat with Hans-Peter about the new work, music and the vertigo induced by the iPad view of two moving subjects.
DENNIS KANE: YO, SORRY I MISSED YOU YESTERDAY, YOU GOOD? DOING TONS OF PRESS STUFF?
Hans-Peter Lindstrom: It is not so bad actually, I did some earlier, but things have quieted down a bit. Are you in NYC?
by Grandmaster Grouchy Greg (All Hip Hop.com)
The family of Bob Marley has announced the first ever authorized documentary on the singer will be in theaters this April.
Magnolia Pictures has teamed with VH1 to obtain the United States rights to Academy award-winning director Kevin McDonald’s documentary “Marley.”
“Marley” is being executive produced by Island Records’ founder Chris Blackwell, as well as Bob Marley’s son Ziggy Marley.
The documentary will make its world premiere at the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival in February, and will premiere in North America, at SXSW this March. [Read More]
Mixed by Akirahawks (supported by dnp-music)
01. Josef Jacktmark – Nattugglor [Crimecit City Disco / CCD003]
02. Boytalk – Der Bestsafungstanz [Freund Der Familie / fdssoul01]
03. Satore – For The Road (Ernie Mix) [Feelharmonic / feel03]
04. TR One – Drum Dance [Apartment Records / APT01]
05. Doc Martin & Lillia – Lils Keys (Subwarp Remix) [Sublevel 07]
06. Alessandro Gaja & Francesco Del Garda – I Decide These Days [Naked & Ashamed / NA 02]
07. Ivano Tetelepta – Throwdown House [Sudden Drop / SD06]
08. Deep88 – Salsa House [12 Records / 12R02]
09. Terrence Parker – Street Skate [Parker Musicworks / PMW04]
10. Eat – A1 [Diamonds & Pearls Music / dnp15]
11. Max K. – Loosing Your Cool [Brothers in Love / BIL001]
12. Mille & Mr. Hirsch – Kinky Love [Apollo Krieg / AK01]
13. Phony Pinch feat. Send More Cats – Here [Enliven Music / elm017]
We’re extremely thrilled that Black N’ Yellow production will have Mark Francis (Club Shelter) as BKNY‘s resident opening DJ. This month, they have resident DJ/Producer Tyrone “mixologist” Francis, Donna Edwards (Shades of Dance) & Mark Francis in the Main Room. The powerful trio will keep the party jumping as DJs Kayo & Sal Paradise will be laying down the eclectic beats in the Funk Hut.
Admission:?$10 RSVP List/$20 General
RSVP to: email@example.com for $10 list
18 to dance/ 21+ to drink
10pm – 12noon
The Morgan 25 Bogart Street, Brooklyn, NY 11206
***ENTRANCE IS @ 250 VARET STREET***
L Train to Morgan Avenue
Complimentary fruit & goodies will be available all night, with breakfast in the morning!
SEE YOU ON THE DANCE FLOOR!
01. Discovery (Free magic & Jkriv) – Chant
02. Gil Tamazyan – Fishnets & Smoke
03. Miguel Migs – Close Your Eyes
04. Bucie – Get Over It
05. Dee Mac – Feel It
06. Arnold Jarvis – Dance
07. Jean Vanloo – El Caravanero
08. Brainstorm – Journey to The Light
09. Lolipop (Edit De kai “KZR” Alce
10. Soho 808 – Turning Slow Feat.Lydia Caesar