Broadcasting afterhours sessions every Wednesday from A-1 Records beginning at 9PM. The A-1 sessions are closed to the general public but a few spots will be reserved each week for dailysession listeners. To get on the list, simply e-mail us. Contact info is above.
Citizen Kane will be joining A1 this week!
Photo By Untitled Name
Upcoming Radio Shows
Today: Halcyon presents Nü Pschidt @ 7PM
We were a little late with this weeks Nü Pschidt flyer. Sorry about that! Be sure to drop by Halcyon tonight or tune in right here from 7-9 for Bruce Tantum and Place 42!
01. Bash Bros feat. Sean Price and Big Pooh – Rock The Spot
02. LL Cool J, Jim Jones, Method Man, Krs-One, Lil Kim – The 5 Boroughs
03. Heliocentrics Feat. MF Doom and Percee P – Distant Star
04. Prodigy – The Dough
05. Pharoahe Monch – Broken Heart
By Melena Ryzik [NYTimes]
“Technically there’s probably not a “season” for graffiti. But springtime is close enough. “You definitely see more names start to show up on the wall once it starts to warm up,” said Evan Roth, a tagging connoiseur and a founder of Graffiti Research Lab. His group takes a more high-tech approach than popping open a can of spray paint: in one recent project it used lasers to tag structures, including the Brooklyn Bridge, above, remotely (and erase-ably). Other works include projectile LEDs and mobile street furniture; all are documented on its website, graffitiresearchlab.com, so others can copy its ideas.
…On Sunday, at the PopRally series at the MOMA, the group will screen its first film…
…On Friday, Shepard Fairey, the designer known for his Andre the Giant sticker brigade, will be the DJ at the Guggenheim for its First Friday’s party.
…Also on Friday, the Ad Hoc Art gallery in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, will open “The Threat of Chance,” in which taggers like Lady Pink are invited to bomb an installation in the space.
…On May 10 the Woodward Gallery on the Lower East Side will host the debut exhibits of Matt Siren and Darkcloud, known for their work on stop signs and outdoor ads.
…On May 27, the new documentary “Bomb-It,” about graffiti culture around the world, will be released on DVD. Until then just look around…”
Graffiti Research Lab
Sunday, may 4, 2008
Titus 1 theater
PopRally invites you to a screening of Graffiti Research Lab: The Complete First Season, a film documenting the adventures of an architect and an engineer who quit their day jobs to develop high-tech tools for the art underground. Featuring insightful and humorous commentary by GRL founders James Powderly and Evan Roth, The Complete First Season argues for free speech in public, open source in pop culture, the hacker spirit in graffiti, and not asking permission in general. The film premiered at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival.
The screening will be followed by a panel discussion with the Graffiti Research Lab and surprise guests.
Stay for the party afterwards, featuring music by Javelin and a final chance to see MoMA’s Design and the Elastic Mind exhibition, which includes the work of the GRL.
“You have the whole world in New York and everyone rides the subway,” [Balla Tounkara] said Thursday as he auditioned at Grand Central Terminal to become part of the Music Under New York program, which gives sanctioned performers preferred — and lucrative — spots in the subway system and invites them to play at special events. “When you play the subway, you see thousands of people everyday who you’ve never seen before, and they can all see my music, my culture.” [Read More]
Photo By Trevor Little
Mixed by Mike
01. Pleasure – Joyous
02. Roy Ayres – Brother Green
03. Manzel – Space Funk
04. Shack Up
05. L.T.D – Cutting It Up
06. Brother Johnson – Aint We Funkin’ Now
07. C. Esposito – Coke
08. I Wouldn’t Change a Thing
09. Double Trouble – People are Changing
10. Grey and Hanks – Dancin
A1 Records, who holds down Wednesday’s dailysession, is joining Citizen Kane and the Deep End Crew at APT for a party on Saturday, May 10th! It’s gonna be dope! They set aside a few spots on the guestlist for dailysession.com listeners. Email us early to get on it and then drop by A1 to thank them for hooking you up! See you there…
Photo By Streetsy
Mixed by NISE
01. Echospace – CV313 [Dimensional Space]
02. Rob Salmon, Rob Rives – Running Towards A Dream [Rob Rives RMX]
03. Powder Beats 2 – Dirt Bag
04. G-man – Qo Vadis
05. Radio Slave – What Happened
06. Deepchord and Mike Huckaby – Sound of Thought
07. Robert Hood – Strobe Light
01. Steview Wonder – Race Babbling – Motown
02. Mad Mike – First Galactic Baptist Church – UR
03. Orlando Voorn – Boogie Knights – Ignitor
04. Suburban Knight – Moonrays – UR
05. Mad Mike – HiTech Dreams – UR
06. Gerald Mitchell and Fabrice Lig – Uncontrollable – Submerge
07. Z Track – UR
08. Dennis Ferrer – Black Man in Space – Objektivity
08. DJ Dex and Esteban Adame – Esfuerzamos – UR test
09. Oscar G – Pimpin – Nervous
10. Moodymann – Technologystolemyvinyl
11. Los Hermanos – Central Nervous System – Submerge
12. Victor Simonelli – Bateria – West Side
13. Gabriel Ananda – Egge – Karmarouge