“In this decade alone, Vernhes and the Rare Book Room have been crucial in forging the avant-rock-meets-electro aesthetic favored by the Fiery Furnaces, Fischerspooner, Animal Collective, Black Dice, and, most recently, Deerhunter. Yet this is a place that almost never was—which means that the story of those bands’ current success might have been very different.” [Read More]
Photo by Mezzoblue
Special Disco Version @ SPH
Q-Tip and Rich Medina @ SPH
Cheeky Bastard @ Hiro
Something Tight @ Happy Ending
Robot Rock @ LeRoyale
Lover Girl @ Pacha
U.N.I.T.Y @ Hugs
The Rub @ Southpaw
Anyone been to the Headphone Disco party at Spiegelworld yet? If you’re not sure what we’re talking about, here’s the description:
“A simple concept with a spectacular affect. Take a room full of clubbers, arm them all with a set of wireless headphones, have two separate DJ’s broadcast to them live via two dedicated FM channels and watch the utterly surreal spectacle that unfolds. A mass of humanity, throwing moves, pulling shapes and singing along to what appears to everyone else to be… complete silence. Welcome to the hugely popular European phenomenon that is, ‘Headphone Disco.'”
The idea has been around since the mid 90’s when a group of French performance artists ran small scale installations at arts venues across Europe. In recent years thought it’s been popularised through the rock festival circuit and more recently through club events which has seen it turn from conceptual art into a full scale clubbing phenomenon.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Each party-goer receives a special pair of wireless headphones.
- Two DJ’s play from the same booth offering a completely different soundtrack broadcast in FM.
- Party goers can toggle between the two DJ’s via a frequency selector on their headsets.
- The club/event runs as normal with lights, smoke and, of course, dancing but with no sound coming from any external speakers.
- Clubbers can either throw on a headset and get into the groove or stand back and marvel at a load of people dancing and singing along to a DJ that only they can hear.
Mixed by Greg Cuoco
01. Tortured Soul – Why (DJ Spinna Remix)
02. DJ Angola – Pimp This Ass (Dub)
03. Lovestation – Love Come Rescue Me (Victor Simonelli Dub Mix)
04. JT Donaldson Trust Me – Broadway & Wilson Remix
05. Franck Roger – Yeah Pretoria
06. Paulo Olarte – You Got Me
07. Blackcoffee – Even Though
08. Convextion – Gray Skywarm Car
09. 51 Days – Paper Moon
Mixed by DJ LaFess
01. Nasty Habits – Liquid Fingers (Goldie Remix)
02. Lomax – Dweeb
03. White Label – Defcom Records
04. Shimon – Humanism
05. White Label – Back East (Revolution Recording)
06. Shimon Vs. Matrix – Slipstream
07. Matrix+Futurebound – Womb – Family (nu-tone & logistics remix)
08. Optical – Electric-Music
Wednesday August 27, 2008 at 9:00pmWebster Hall125 E. 11th St.
New York City, New York 10003Website: http://www.1iota.com
We are looking for 500 fans to be a part of the SAMSUNG SUMMER KRUSH concert series taking place August 27th 2008, at Webster Hall in NYC!
There will be a special LIVE 1 hour performance by NAS!
You must 18+ years old to attend and the tickets are FREE!!!
Visit www.1iota.com and click the Samsung Summer Krush link and request your FREE tickets today!
SUNDAY, AUGUST 31st
Another all day event with some of our favorite guests from the past 10 Years @ Turntables… DJ’s Jazzy Nice, Carol C, Matthias Heilbron, Bruce T, Dara & many more TBA… 3PM – 2AM / $10 to enter all day. Kids welcome with a parent before 10PM… in fact, this is the day all the parents can get their grooves on with the kids! Come one, come all… 3PM – 2AM
Address:#2 Borden Avenue in LIC QUEENS – Right on the EAST River. Check Water Taxi Beach for full directions by Water Taxi, car, subway.
Photo by Streetsy
Upcoming Radio Shows
Today: Zakka’s Radio Show @ 6PM – *No Show Today (Vacation)
Tuesday: DJ Spinna @ Halcyon @ 6PM
Wednesday: A1 Afterhours @ 9PM
Thursday: The Fat Beats Review @ 8PM
Friday: Halcyon presents Nü Pschidt @ 7PM
New in the Radio Archive
Halcyon presents Nü Pschidt 08.22.08 Coming Soon…
ObliqSound & halcyon present: The Hook Remixes in-store release event! DJ Spinna & Grand Pianoramax will be performing a special live set at halcyon this TUESDAY AUGUST 26 from 6-7:30PM celebrating the release of The Hook (remixes) off the hot new album ‘The Biggest Piano In Town’ available at www.halcyondigi.com August 26! Event is FREE and will be broadcast live on dailysession.com!
“The last McCarren Pool Party happened yesterday in front of a crowd estimated by a special Curbed Correspondent as being somewhat under full capacity and “crowded but not packed.” Early on the lines to get into the show, which was a fundraiser for Democrat Barack Obama, looked really long. There was a lot of wistful talk about it being the end of an era, but JellyNYC founder Alexander Kane said that ‘We’re going to be doing this next year on the waterfront.'” [Read More]
Photo by Streetsy
We were, err, up a little late last night so the news is going to come a little later. For now, enjoy the dailyimage and check out the radio archives – there is a lot of good stuff in there!
Upcoming Radio Shows
Today: Halcyon presents Nü Pschidt @ 7PM
Q: We’ve had a few hard ones in a row so this week we’re gonna make it really easy for you. What bridge is pictured in Thursday’s dailyimage?
Email us your answers or post them in the comments below. The first person with the correct response wins a signed copy of Brooklyn Street Art. Good luck!
Mixed by Mike
01. Dell the Funky Homosapien – Burnt
02. L.A. Posse – Breese
03. Digital Underground – Do Watcha Like
04. Digital Underground – Humpty Dance
05. 2 Pac – If My Homies Call
06. Ice Cube – Straight Outta Compton
07. Ice Cube – Americas Most Wanted
08. NWA – Appetite for Destruction
09. Ice T – New Jack Hustler
10. Ice T – OG
11. Cypress Hill – Hand on the Pump
12. Cypress Hill – When the Shit Goes Down
13. The Alkoholiks – Daaam!
14. Snoop Dogg – Gin and Juice